- First governor of Bengal.
- Baber of British India
- Known as Nawab Maker.
- Introduced Diarchy in Bengal.
- Founder of British empire in India
- Commit Suicide
- William Pitt called him ‘ Warrior born in Heaven’
Warren Hastings ( 1772 - 1785)
- First Governor General of Bengal by Regulating act of 1773
- Cancelled diarchy in Bengal
- Founded Supreme court in Calcutta
- First chief Justice of Calcutta supreme court - Elijah Empe
- Quinquennial land tax introduced
- Founded Madrasas in Calcutta.
- Governor General who was impeached by british parliament.
- Impeachment introduced in the parliament by - Edmund Burke.
- Preface written to Charles Wilkin's Bhagavad Gita Translation.
- Pitts India act - 1784.
Cornwallis ( 1786 - 1793)
- Father of Indian Civil Service.
- Indian niyamagakle Crodikarichu.
- Divide Revenue system and Tax system
- Permanent settlement in Bengal, bihar and Orissa - 1793
Lord Wellesley ( 1798 - 1805)
- Akbar of British India
- He described his as ‘Bengal Tiger’
- Subsidiary alliance -1798
- First country signed in Subsidiary alliance - hyderabad
- Played an important role in the formation of Madras Presidency
- Abolished child killing - 1802
George Borlo ( 1805 - 1807)
- Vellore Revolt - 1806
- First Military Revolt against British - Vellore Revolt
Lord Minto ( 1807 - 1813 )
- Amritsar treaty - 1809
- King of Punjab signed in Amritsar Treaty - Raja Renjith singh
- Stopped Peshwa position
Lord Hastings ( 1813 -1823 )
- Captured Nepal ( Kathmandu )
- Reorganized village community system.
- Bengal governor general at the time of Ryotwari system.
- Governor bring Ryotwari system to Madras - Thomas Mandro
William Bentinck ( 1828 - 1835)
- Charter act 1833
- By charter act governor general changed to governor general of India
- First governor general of India - William Bentick
- He says ‘ Rule India for Indians’
- Abolished sati - 1829
- Utaramanaskan aya Governor General
- Abolish child marriage
- Abolish girl child killing
- Started English education in India
- Replace persian and made english as official language
- Father of modern English education in India
- Mechaley Minutes - Lord Macaulay
- Architect of Indian penal code - Lord Macaulay
- Depressed Thugs - leader - William Seman ( Indian Phantom )
Charles Metcalfe ( 1835 - 1836 )
- Known as liberator of press
Lord Ellenborough ( 1842 - 1844 )
- Annexed sindh to India.
- Abolished Slave system - 1843
Lord Oakland ( 1836 - 1842)
- First Afghan War
Hardinge I ( 1842 - 1848)
- Supporter of free trade.
- Government job given only to who got english education
Dalhousie ( 1848 - 1856 )
- Architect of modern India
- Started Archaeology survey
- Dalhousie town - Himachal Pradesh
- Made Simla as summer capital of India
- Started Railway in India - 1853 April 16
- First railway line - Bombay - Thane
- Modern postal system, Telegraph Started
- First Telegraph line - Kolkata - Diamond Harbour
- Woods Despatch - 1854 - magna carta of Indian Education
- Introduced Doctrine of lapse
- First place annexed to British India by Doctrine of lapse - Satra
- Last Place - Oudh
- Widow remarriage act - 1856
- Ganga canal opened - 1854